Friday, December 10, 2010

Swearing in/Thanksgiving

I am now a Peace Corps Volunteer (PCV).  The end of November our group, called a stage, with Youth Development (YD) and Small Business Development (SBD), traveled to Mehideya close to Rabat for a week of training and testing.  I did not get to the Novice High level they desire in the language proficiency testing so will be using a touter for the next year to help me through the language.  At my age I forget as much as I learn.  After the testing we had a medical exam and my blood pressure was very high so they sent me to Rabat to the Peace Corps medical facility to be checked by a doctor.  I was put in a hotel, The Grand, that was a real blood pressure tester.  The bathroom did not work, no hot water and short sheets on the bed.  And I went there to lower my blood pressure, Ha Ha.  The PC medical staff was very accommodating and I was scheduled to see a cardiologist to read results and possibly change medications.  Moved into a nice hotel, The Bolema, when the rest of the PCTs arrived for swearing in.  Stayed there one day then told I had to go to another hotel, which did not have room or reservation so I was sent back to the Grad.  It was Grand in it's day, 1950, when it was new.  They have not done any maintenance since then.  After another night there using the tub as the toilet, I complained and got put with the rest of the volunteers in a nicer facility. 
The swearing in was attended by the Ambassador to Morocco and his wife, very nice folks.  There were delegates from the Moroccan youth and small business ministries. 
Rabat was very nice with parks, warm weather and nice restaurants.  It was good to get back to a more Western environment for a while, hot showers, western toilets, TP, normal clothes.  Most people spoke French to you so that was confusing.  Trying to hear what they are saying and expecting Dareja and hearing French was frustrating.  When you buy something they give you the price in French, more confusion.  Fun for a while.
The beach was a short walk, 20 minutes, down the parkway from out lodging area.  I did not make it down but was told it was very nice.  Would like to spend more time seeing the area some day.
Had Thanksgiving dinner with an American family working at the Embassy.  The Peace Corp Director arranged for anyone staying over in Rabat to have dinner if they wanted.  It was awesome and the hospitality I received from Mary and Martin Jeffers and her family was unforgettable.  We had Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, all the fixings.  I got to carve the turkey and received a call from Dustin which made my day even better.  Being alone in a foreign country during the holiday can be depressing, but my Thanksgiving was something I will remember until I get Alzheimer's and forget my name.  lol. 
I made it to the bus in the early morning by myself and back to Midelt to continue the experience.  It was cold back in Midelt.  I missed Rabat already, but hey I get to go to Marrakesh in a week for the Marche Maroc Artisan's Craft Fair.  That should be fun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment