Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Barca with Dustin

Living in the Peace Corps, far from home, you miss friends and family.  Skype, cell phones, email all have made it much easier to keep in touch than when I was young.  But, there is nothing better than a visit from home.  Dustin flew from San Francisco to Barcelona, Spain where I met him for a holiday in Morocco.  I grinned from ear to ear when I saw him in the airport.  What a treat.  Now if I can get my Mom to come over with Ashlyn or Cindy, that would be just dandy.


I flew into Girona about and hour bus ride North of Barcalona and arrived 3 hours before Dustin.  We arranged to meet at the Naples Cafe across from the central bus station.  Until he was due to arrive I went walkabout in search of adventure and Sangria.  I found it in the Parc de La Cuidadella after walking down the plaza from the Arc de Triomf.
Back to the Naples Cafe and a cold cervesa I was lucky enough to have wireless and connect on Skype with my Mom and could share Barcelona with her for a short time.
Dustin showed up and off we went for Tapas and Vino.  The streets were narrow and quaint with artistic graffiti on many of the storefront roll down doors.  Other doors were too beautiful to paint.



Sunday was game day, after a day cruising the sites, Dali Museum, Picasso Gallery, cathedrals and the harbor.
Saw a Syrian protest march for the overthrow of Assad.






The city is filled with clean parks, fountains, statues honoring poets, artists, heroes and artwork of all kinds.  A beautiful city.






The game was between Barca and Deportivo.  Unfortunately we did not get to see Messi play as they had already won the championship and it was a meaningless game for the league.  They did parade around the field with the Champion's trophy, set off fireworks and played a great game.  Score  ho hum 0-0.  We stopped by Ryan's Pub on the way back to the hotel Serenity and met some of the local folk. 

No comments:

Post a Comment