Thursday, July 7, 2011

Running With the Bull-July 6th to July 14th-San Fermin-Part 1





The first day is opening day (July 6) and the event starts with the proper clothing.  White shirt, white pants, red scarf, red sash and red hat.  I did not wear the red hat but it will make a nice gift for my children.    You are suppose to wear these cloths, uniform, for the entire time you are at the San Fermin.  The opening ceremony starts with thousands of people jammed into the plaza in front of town hall.  Everyone dressed in their whites, drinking sangria and spraying, pouring, throwing it all over each other.  Initiation into the festival is when you are soaked in sangria, dripping off your hair and turning your whites, purple. What fun.


From then on it was pure entertainment with music, dancing, eating, drinking, bull running, bull fights, parades, fireworks that went on 24 hours a day for the entire festival.  Old man that I am, I did not partake in any of these exhilarating events and spent most of my time napping and observing those foolish people doing crazy things.  SANFERMIN.com is the official website.


I met very interesting people. Bullchit and I went over the fine points of horn vs rump action during the festival.  He helped me decide how to run.   I had  very good discussion with Ernest Hemingway and let him know what I thought about "The Sun Also Rises".  I introduced him to some of my friends.  They were impressed I knew Hemingway personally. 

The food and beer varied from good to excellent and cheap to expensive.  We drank 1 euro beers and 12 euro beers.  The sangria was tasty but I am not sure if it should be considered a fashion accessory or beverage.




Did not make it on the run the first day.  Justin took pictures of us but we were over the cut off line at the Calle de Estafeta and the police came by in a big line and pushed thousands of us down the street out of the course. We were packed so tight in the Estafata that you could lift your feet off the ground and your would not fall down.  People were climbing drain pipes on the side of the street to get out of the crush.  Minyana, tomorrow we will run.  Inshallah.




4 comments:

  1. Hi!
    It's Jessica, we met on the first day of the running of the bulls... I was hoping to see the video your friend shot, and hoping I might be in it? Also, did it work out for you on the second day? Did you get in?

    -Jessica
    lelehua@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried posting the video but it was too long. Email me and I will try to send it to you. I got tossed the second but did run the third day, the day we left.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is your email? I'll give you my login for my web disk and you can upload it there. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jess. email me at kahler.bill@yahoo.com and I WILL TRY TO GET THE VIDEO TO YOU.

    ReplyDelete