Monday, November 7, 2011

That Time of Year Again - L'Eid

It is L'Eid Kabir again.  Every year it moves up about two weeks as it is based on the Muslim Calander.  Over the years Eid will be in every month same as Ramadan.
This morning the chanting, singing and praying began in the morning.  I think they recite the Koran.  At about 9:00 the mosque let out and people began the ritual sheep slaughter.  I drank coffee on my room and was able to witness four sheep in the street and two on the rooftops of neighboring houses.  This guy was BBAAAAAing in the morning to other sheep round the neighborhood.
You could get your sheep this past weekend at the Eid sheep market.  It was like shopping for a Christmas tree on Christmas Eve.  There were lots of people last minute shopping.  The streets last night were filled with shoppers getting cookies, and fixings for the feast today.
People visit all their family today and everyone who can afford it kills two sheep, one for the family and one for the poor.  That is a lot of meat to eat in the next couple days.

Everyone watches the sacrifice women, children, men, friends.  It is a happy time and the biggest holiday of the year.  Gifts are not exchanged.
 
This is my second one and I will be here for the one next year also which will be the end of October.
Time to eat. 

It has been raining for a few days and snowing in the mountains.  Time to hunker down for the winter and start up my Buta gas heater.  I would hibernate if I could.

No comments:

Post a Comment