Saturday, April 14, 2012

Moroccan Wedding Ceremony

I was so impressed with the fun level of the Canadian nurses on the camel trek that I agreed to get married in a Moroccan marriage ceremony.  And I said I would never get married again,  lol, Oh my.  I got to pick my wife to be.  I could pick one of the girls from the carpet school, where we had the ceremony, one of the Canadian students or the teacher.  I did not pick a Moroccan rug student because I did not want to have a misunderstanding and end up actually married.  I did not want to pick my counterpart, never good to marry someone you work with.  I did not pick the Peace Corps volunteer for fear the PCVs would start rumors.  I decided on the nursing teacher because the students were my daughters age and I know Ashlyn would be upset about that.  lol.  Lets see what rumors this generates.

Like everything in Morocco you eat dates and drink milk to start off.  Dates and milk were passed out for everyone.  We had no cake to smash in the spouse's face. 


Oh Well.


The costumes you wear are traditional.  Hishams sister made these caftans and gave them to the Canadians to take home.  A nice wedding gift.



The 40 or so people attending the wedding were enthusiastic with singing, dancing and yelling.  A Moroccan wedding is a very noisy affair and usually goes on for hours and into the next morning.  We held the short version.


Henna is a tradition for the ceremony.  The man gets moons on the inside of the hand and the women get intricate flower and Arabic/Berber designs.


Another chapter in the Camels Adventure.  My new bride has returned to her husband and children in Quebec.  Oh life is so fickle and romance so fleeting.  Whats next?

No comments:

Post a Comment