Friday, May 4, 2012

Asilah the Mural City

Asilah is located on the Atlantic coast of Morocco below Tangier.  Every year they have a symposium with different international themes.  There is also an art exposition attended by hundreds of artists from around the world and thousands of tourists.  There are maybe 50 murals painted on the walls of the buildings in the old Portuguese built medina.


The city is very clean.  I have heard the mayor lives in the old medina and ran for office saying that he would make Asilah the cleanest city in Morocco.  The buildings are painted, the people friendly and we found some good food.  A pleasant place to visit.  Unfortunately it rained on our short visit but the weather did make for some spectacular photos of rainbows.  Always a silver lining on the clouds if you look.


I would say this is one of the top 5 places I have seen in Morocco.  Living in a Riad in the medina for a summer would be a great experience.  I could make a coffee table book of the doors here.




If you like to look at art there are quite a few galleries around town.  Some is more creative than others. I did not see any single pieces that I thought should be added to my collection.  I will have to go back and spend more time in the gallery.  Many were closed as it is off season. The festival is in July or August.




Stayed in a small cheap hotel.  It was clean, secure and the proprietor was very nice.



No comments:

Post a Comment